Bible Search
About Us

The South Perinton United Methodist Church is the oldest church In Perinton still in use.  The Perinton Society, that is today the South Perinton United Methodist Church, was organized February 22, 1837. The original church building - the current sanctuary - was dedicated October 19, 1837. The early church served a growing number of people in the area who felt a deep need for worship and fellowship during periods of religious revivals in the mid 1800’s. Baptisms were sometimes held in White Brook Creek on Wilkinson Road. A vestibule and a room above the vestibule were added in 1867, and the bell tower and spire sometime later in the 1800’s. The sanctuary was heated by a wood stove, and church suppers were held in the small room over the vestibule using a kerosene stove for cooking. Oil lamps were later converted to electric battery power and then municipal power. In 1915 a dining room was added on the east side, and in 1956 a kitchen was added at the rear of the dining room along with indoor plumbing. In 1961 the sanctuary was completely renovated and a carillon was installed that still plays for all in the neighborhood or who pause to listen, Many of the converted oil lights were reinstalled in the sanctuary and vestibule as part of 1960’s renovations. In the year 2000 a fellowship room and Sunday school rooms were added along with a new kitchen and a lift and restrooms for handicapped accessibility. The sanctuary was further updated in 2007 with new carpeting and new pew cushions. The South Perinton UMC building is a registered historical landmark by the Perinton Historical Commission. Since 1859, South Perinton United Methodist church has been joined with Macedon Center United Methodist Church. The cemetery behind the church is now owned and operated by the separate South Perinton Cemetery Association. Several Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Civil war veterans are buried in the cemetery.

 

For a 2012 news article about our church, 

http://www.fairport-erpost.com/x1660695078/Perintons-oldest-church-leaves-lasting-legacy

Contents © 2017 South Perinton United Methodist Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy